CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Breastfeeding

So some of you know my recent struggles with breastfeeding.  In the beginning it was great, Inoke latched on right away, my milk was abundant and we both were very happy.  I started back to work when Inoke was about 8 weeks, but only 2 days a week.  So at first pumping was just fine and I seem to be pumping enough to replenish what Sione was using while I was gone without any problems. Well that didn't last very long.. These last 2 months have been torture.  I haven't been able to pump very much at work.  It takes me about 25-30 mins just to get barely 3 ounces.  BOOOO.  So needless to say I have been very frustrated.  Inoke has also seemed to be getting frustrated.  He doesn't seem to be getting enough to eat.  Doesn't seem satisfied after eating and has been really whiney ;(.

I talked with my sister in law Adrian who works up at Primary Childrens and she asked the Lactation Lady what I should do to get some more milk flow.  Here is the regimen: 1 week of Fenugreek pills.  These are nasty, and I had to take 2 three times a day, blech, then 1 week of Milk Thistle pills, which called for 1 pill three times a day, also a gross tasting pill.  So there was hope, I was envisioning after I was done with this that I would have milk flowing and leaking and filling up bottles, so much I would have to sell some of it on KSL or something.  

No, my dreams did not come true.  I was still not producing very much and just as frustrated as before, so was Inoke.  I had to come to terms that I was "drying" up.  How??? My boobs were and are still huge, WHAT is in there, sheesh.

In the middle of all of that we decided to introduce formula to the little guy.  Well no one told me you should mix some breast milk with the formula the first time you give it to the baby.  It was probably the most dramatic thing I have ever seen from him.  I cradled the little guy got comfy and gave him the bottle.  You would have thought I was giving him poison! Oh man he gagged, coughed, spit, cried, yelled and stared at me like "hello, what were you thinking? Are you trying to kill me??".  Well that was a bust.  

However the next time, about a week later, 2 ounces breast milk 2 ounces formula, this kid sucked it down like a champ!!! So there was hope, my baby was getting nourishment and getting full belly! 

I have officially stopped breastfeeding and this little guy is loving the formula.  He's up to 5-6 ounces a feeding and still eating his carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, and rice cereal.  

My boobs feel so much better, I think they are shrinking,  I hope.

I want everyone to know that I loved breastfeeding and I will do it again, however now I am better prepared to know what's to come and I won't be as frustrated and sad as I was this go round.  I do love being able to give Inoke a bottle whenever, wherever and not having to worry about a place to hide or having to "cover up".  I do not love however the night feedings, it is so much easier to just whip it out, feed him and go back to bed.  

So there are many pros and cons to both ways, and I have tried both and think I have found a happy medium.  Inoke and I are both happy and no longer crying and being frustrated with each other! 

HAPPY DAY! 

0 comments: